Thursday, January 23, 2014

Take care ResearchGate. Hello Google Scholar!

Not particularly interested in social networking when in comes to research. Do not even remember how my ResearchGate account was created in the first place.

For awhile I have have this TODO item that says: Fix my ResearchGate publication list. Got on the website today and tried to do it properly. Particularly, the site only had less than 30 of my publications which was definitely not right and had to be fixed.

ResearchGate has the BitTex import option. Tried it today. DOES NOT WORK. Yes, it will import author names and titles, ... and years but not the important stuff like conference names, pages, etc. I also hear that even after you import something ResearchGate might change the names later on. Not something I would like to see on my list.

So. Cancelled my ResearchGate account. Today. Goodbye ResearchGate!

Now, there is Mendeley, CiteULike, and all these other options. I guess CiteULike might be about the same as Google Scholar but just in case I got on Google Scholar first. And, to my own surprise, it came up with the correct number of my publications -- 132 sounds about right.



Granted the site is ugly, this automatic feature alone has made my mind. Next I have to figure out how to connect my source code at GitHub and slides at SlideShare -- naturally you cannot upload the actual PDFs due to copyright, right? -- to the articles on my Google Scholar. But at least I do not have to import anything.

Hello Google Scholar!

No comments:

Post a Comment